Tempeh Vegetable Skewers With Ginger Sauce
by Sandy Coggins & Fumie Yoshikawa
- Cut into large cubes for skewers
- Deep fry in safflower oil
- Set aside & drain
- ***For better flavor, deep fry and marinate overnight in sauce. Then cooked an additional 15 to 20 minutes on stove top.
- 1 Grated ginger root
- 2 Fresh squeezed oranges or tangerine (reserve zest)
- 4 Cups apple juice
- Soy sauce to taste
- 1 Cup brown rice syrup (season to taste)
- ¼ to ½ Cup kuzu
- Mix Marinade/Sauce ingredients together.
- Heat a large skillet, add deep fried tempeh and pour marinade/sauce over the tempeh. Reserve at least 1 cup of the marinade to make the sauce for the skewers.
- Simmer the tempeh in the sauce for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh and set aside.
- Add remaining sauce to a pan and bring to a high simmer.
- Add a small amount of cold water to the kuzu and mix until it dissolves.
- Add kuzu – (necessary amount) to sauce and cook until you get a saucy consistency you like.
- Strain sauce to remove any lumps or tempeh residue.
- Add orange/tangerine zest to taste.
Vegetables for Skewers:
- 3 Yams cut into large cubes - steamed until just tender - al dente
- 1 Bunch broccoli cut into large florets - quickly blanched - al dente
- 4 Summer squashes cut in thick ½ moons - quickly blanched - al dente
- Pre heat oven to broil or grill outdoors
- Prepare skewers by placing skewers in a restaurant pan and brushing lightly with toasted sesame oil.
- Place in the oven and broil until seared or grill outdoors.
- Remove from oven and place skewers onto serving tray
- Lightly sauce the skewers and serve.