Sunday, April 24, 2011

I'm Taking On A 30 Day Eco-Challenge!


My sister and I were recently talking about how wasteful using disposable products are, and how easy it is to be mindless when it comes to something so quick and easy. When she lived in Ukraine, she was responsible for taking her own trash to a dumpster in another city because there was no trash pickup service. When you have to lug around your own heavy, smelly, dirty trash, you become very aware about how much you are throwing away and you think about minimizing how much trash you create.

From this conversation, I realized how wasteful I have been in the last 2 years. Between traveling, moving, and eating at restaurants and other people's homes, I have become lax when it comes to using disposables. So, my sister and I decided that it's time for us to do something about it! We decided to take on our own 30 Day Eco-Challenge!!!


We are minimizing our own production of waste by making up some guidelines.

For 30 days, we are NOT USING:

  • Paper napkins
  • Paper towels
  • Disposable plates, cups, cutlery, straws
  • Plastic sandwich bags
  • Pretty much anything that can be used once and thrown away
  • Disposable plastic or paper bags when we go grocery shopping
  • Excess electricity- we must turn off lights when we don't absolutely need them

We CAN USE:
  • Toilet paper - but if we run out we can only buy the recycled kind
  • Tissues to blow our noses - but if we run out we can only buy the recycled kind
  • Feminine care products - but if we run out, we must buy the all natural biodegradable kind, or use reusable
Wish us luck! I will be posting my experiences soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment