Monday, October 17, 2011

Your Lungs Will Love Lotus Root


Are you experiencing coughing and chest tightness now that we are in the season of Autumn? If your lungs seem less-than-happy, try eating natural foods that are specifically good for healthy lung functioning, such as lotus root. Lotus root is a root vegetable that has a mild sweet flavor and crunchy texture when lightly cooked. It is great for drawing mucus out of the body and helps your lungs feel happy and healthy.

A few weeks ago I felt congested because I had been eating more bread than usual. I had been staying away from those things for a little while and eating lots of vegetables, whole grains and soups to help remedy my symptoms, but I still did not feel 100% better. I decided to make some Lotus Root Miso Soup and after eating it a few times, I felt like myself again within two days! I could breathe normally, my chest felt relaxed and I stopped coughing.

Lotus root is not just good in soups, it can be used in stir fries, cooked with rice or beans or cut into big chunks and cooked in a stew. I bought myself dried lotus root online and soaked it for 1/2 an hour before cooking it in my soup. You can use fresh or dried for this recipe. Here is the recipe I used, but feel free to substitute or add in any vegetables you like:














Ingredients:

  • 2 cups filtered water
  • 1 stamp sized piece of kombu seaweed
  • organic barley miso
  • 2 stalks of scallions
  • 15 slices of dried and soaked lotus root
  • 1 carrot

Directions:
  1. Rinse the piece of kombu and place it in a pot with the water. Bring to a boil.
  2. Slice carrot in thin diagonal slices and slice scallions in 2 inch diagonal slices.
  3. Once the water is boiling, place the lotus root slices into the water. Let it cook for 12 -15 minutes.
  4. Add carrot slices to boiling water and let cook for 5-7 minutes or until the carrot slices are soft. Turn the stove to simmer.
  5. Scoop 1 tablespoon of miso into a ladle and dissolve the miso. Taste the soup and add more miso to taste. Add scallions.
  6. Serve the hot soup in individual bowls, sit and relax. Enjoy the soup and appreciate how you are honoring your body by eating something healing, that is made with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment