I love this dish because it is fast, easy to make, delicious and a complete meal in one bowl! When I come home from a long day, the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal. This dish is simple and fun and does not take much time to prepare.
1 package organic soba noodles
1 stamp sized piece kombu
2 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked for 1/2 hour (reserve soaking water)
1/2 block firm tofu
optional: any other vegetables you like
- Boil the soba noodles in a pot until they are cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Boil 2-4 cups of water in a pot (depending on how much soup you want to make).
- Rinse off the piece of kombu and drop it into the boiling water. Add shiitake soaking water.
- Trim stems off of shiitake mushrooms and discard. Slice mushrooms and add to the boiling water.
- Dice sweet potato and any other vegetables you would like to add to the soup. Add to the boiling water.
- Turn the water to low and let all ingredients simmer.
- Cut the tofu in small cubes and add to the simmering pot.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add generous amounts of soy sauce to flavor the soup.
- Place some noodles in a bowl and ladle the soup and vegetables on top.
- Garnish with sliced scallion. Enjoy!