I recently checked out the book, Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook, from the library and am newly inspired to take some of her beautiful and delicious ideas and make them into things I would actually eat. I mean, what's better than a cute little bite of something that tastes amazing AND is good for you? If you are looking for some inspiration for your next dinner party or small gathering of friends, this book is full of creative pictures, ideas and recipes to give you some good ideas. Martha Stewart is pretty much the queen of all things beautiful, creative, crafty and food-related, so I would suggest her books, shows, websites, magazines, etc. in general.
After perusing through her book, I have decided to start with trying out my version of Smoked Salmon, Cucumber and Dill Butter Canapes. For the Dill Butter I decided to use Earth Balance, since I don't eat dairy.
Check out the recipe I made:
Smoked Salmon, Cucumber and Dill Butter Canapes
Smoked salmon- look for the kind w/o preservatives or artificial color
Good quality sliced organic sourdough or whole grain bread
8 Tablespoons Earth Balance
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Put the Earth Balance, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill and parsley in a medium bowl.
- Smash with the back of a fork until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Roll into a 1 inch wide log. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread the slices of bread with Dill Butter.
- Use a mandoline or peeler to thinly slice the cucumber.
- Place 2 cucumber slices on the buttered bread. Then trim the crusts.
- Arrange sprigs of dill on top of the cucumber.
- Slice smoked salmon in long strips and arrange them, folded in half on top of the cucumber.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here's more on Martha Stewart and her endless ideas of awesomeness. I regularly use her online recipes to get ideas and watch her show when I have time and want a little creative inspiration.
Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
Martha Stewart's Twitter
Martha Stewart's Youtube Channel
Martha Stewart's Blog