Even though I stopped eating meat, I NEVER thought I would eat Tofurky. It just sounded too weird. But one day, I decided to try it out. I do not make a habit of eating fake meats, because I don't think it is good to consume them regularly, but I figured - I like to be adventurous with food, so I would give it a try. I got myself the Tofurky Italian Sausage.
On the package was the sausage sliced up and served over pasta and sauce, so I decided to give that a try (see my picture above). It surprisingly came out well! I served it with some steamed kale and cauliflower and it went really well together. The sausages were a little spicy, but other than that, I actually liked it. I suggest following the instructions on the package about how to prepare the sausage. Here is my easy recipe for the sauce:
3 Tofurky sausages, sliced on the diagonal in chunks
1 yellow onion, half moon sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 yellow crookneck squash, half moon sliced
1 jar of Eden Organic Spaghetti Sauce
- Saute the Tofurky in some olive oil in a pan for a few minutes on medium heat on each side, then set aside on a plate.
- Saute onions and garlic for 4 minutes. Then toss in the squash, and saute. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce over the cooking vegetables and add the cooked sausage. Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Let sauce, vegetables and sausage cook for 12 minutes, then taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve over brown rice spaghetti or your favorite pasta. Maybe add some extra fun to your meal by serving with some garlic bread...